Resources for Local Foundations
The resources found on this page are a combination of PDF documents and links to external websites. This information is intended to assist the local chapters with creation and operation of independent local foundations.
Documents provided in PDF format will open in a new tab. Close the document tab to return to this page.
Master Gardener membership in fundraising foundations is not automatic or compulsory and must be offered as an opt-in option. The following documents provide the basis for this statement and sample communications and applications which may be adopted by local chapter foundations.
View or download this PDF version of this handbook. All nonprofits must be familiar with the guidelines and procedures within this handbook or risk loss of their nonprofit status.
Thinking of starting a nonprofit corporation? Want to establish 501(c)(3) exempt status? Go to:
- Obtaining an application for tax-exempt status
- Most organizations applying for exemption must use specific application forms. Go to http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non
- Profits/Obtaining-an-Application-for-Tax-Exempt-Status for more information.
A county wishing to apply for dependent status with the MGFWS should download one of the following forms.
- Secretary of State Corporations Division
801 Capitol Way South
Olympia, WA 98501
- Check with the Washington Secretary of State:
- Go to Corporations Division
- Click on the link marked “Corporations Search”
- Enter your organization’s official name or UBI in the search box and click “search”
- Enter the name exactly as registered or search using only a portion of non-profit’s name, e.g. master gardener foundation.
- Check with the Internal Revenue Service:
- To learn about status as a 501(c)(3) organization, click here.
- Consult with your local insurance professional about your needs and rates.
- Local Master Gardener foundations, associations, etc., may be willing to share their forms, bylaws, policies, etc., with other foundations. See our Chapters page for a list of WSU Master Gardener Program and county foundation websites.